Steven A. Bloom, J.D., M.B.A., LL.M.
[one_fourth padding="0 20px 0 0"]
Areas of Practice
- Advanced Tax Planning
- Complex Trust Planning
- Private Client Services
- Estate Planning
- Trusts & Estates
- Business Planning
- Succession Planning
- Private Foundations / Non-Profit
Address: 15100 N. 78th Way, Suite 203, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone: 480-656-8775 x1016
Steven A. Bloom, J.D., M.B.A., LL.M., is a Principal with the Law Offices of Steven A. Bloom, PLLC and periodically serves as of counsel to Boland Law Group, PLLC in the Scottsdale offices. Steve focuses his practice in the areas of trust and estate planning with an emphasis on tax planning. Steve primarily works with family groups and individuals to develop advanced strategies to integrate existing holdings with complex trust vehicles and businesses to pass wealth to the next generation.
Steve's practice focuses on estate planning, trust and estate administration, and charitable organizations. His clients include families with closely held businesses and advising families and investment managers on the appropriate use of family offices. Steve also represent clients on complex transfer tax planning using, among other techniques, GRATs, family LLCs and FLPs and sales to “defective” grantor trusts for hedge fund and private equity fund principals, investors, executives and other high-net-worth clients.
Steve graduated top of his class for his bachelor of arts from Bard College, and earned his Juris Doctor and Masters in Business Administration from Case Western Reserve University. Steve was the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law and served as the Associate Editor, Case Western Reserve Law Review. Steve has a post-doctoral LL.M. (Masters of Laws) in Taxation from New York University.
Steve started practicing in 1984 with Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue in Dallas, Texas and later headed the Trusts & Estates Practice of the Phoenix Office of Greenberg Traurig, LLP, an international law firm with over 800 attorneys.
During his college years Steve was an avid musician at heart and continues plays the keyboard in his downtime with his wife and dogs.
Significant Representations Over Career
- Provided estate and tax planning advice and trust drafting in connection with an estate in excess of $200 million involving the interplay of U.S. and European transfer tax laws.
- Provided estate, tax and asset protection planning for several clients in anticipation of their companies going public, utilizing complex wealth preservation and transfer tax techniques, including combinations of grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to defective grantor trusts and charitable lead and remainder trusts.
- Provided post-mortem tax planning on behalf of a surviving spouse with estate in excess of $100 million using sophisticated income, estate and generation-skipping tax reduction structure.
- Provided structure for owners of large closely held business to defer gain on sale of low basis stock, obtain a current income tax deduction and take advantage of tax-free compounding of interest until retirement, coupled with pre-sale corporate reorganization transaction.
- Preparation of private foundations for major league baseball players.
- Chairman of the Board — Planned Giving Committee - Phoenix Children's Hospital Foundation;
- Board Member — Planned Giving Committee - Phoenix Children's Hospital Foundation;
Professional Memberships & Activities
- Member — Tax Law Section - State Bar of Arizona;
- Member — Valley Estate Planners;
- Member — Real Property & Trust Section - American Bar Association;
- Member — Tax Law Section, Business Law Section, Private Equity & Venture Capital Section - American Bar Association;
- Member — Probate & Trust Section - State Bar of Arizona;
- Member — Mental Health and Elder Law Section - State Bar of Arizona;
- Member — Beta Gamma Sigma, Fraternity
- Planned Giving Committee — Phoenix Children's Hospital Foundation;
- Planned Giving Committee — Phoenix Art Museum;
- Member — Harmony Alliance
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Supreme Court of Texas